Hickleton village in South Yorkshire, is situated on the A635, six miles from Doncaster to the east and nine miles from Barnsley to the west. The nearest motorway is at Marr, two and a half miles to the east of Hickleton at junction 37 for the A1(M).
Formed in the ‘Dark Ages’, Hickleton village emerged from a scatter of farmsteads as the open field system, introduced by the Anglo-Saxons, created a need for uninterrupted open fields, a requirement for communal farming and long plough strips. The village never grew larger than its Anglo-Saxon origin, peaking in size before the Black Death in 1349, being confined by the size of the parish, around 1100 acres and its adherence to farming. During this later medieval period the village consisted of a Manor House, a Rectory (until the ownership of Monk Bretton Priory), several farms or smallholdings, a medieval bridge and two medieval crosses; all surrounded by open fields. Change only came in the 1960s when modern houses were built.
The village, although very pleasant, is dissected by a busy link road (A1-M1) and is still awaiting its long talked about by-pass.